Preserved Lemon Cream Scones with Apricot Harissa Butter
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 13 minutes
Ready in: 28 minutes
Yield: 12 scones
● 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
● 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
● 1/2 teaspoon salt
● 8 ounces cream cheese
● 16 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, divided
● 1/2 cup scallions, diced
● 1 large egg
● 2 teaspoons Casablanca Market Preserved Lemon Puree
● 1/4 cup honey
● 1/4 cup buttermilk, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons more, if needed
● 18 large parsley leaves
● 2 teaspoons Casablanca Market Harissa
● 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place a baking sheet in oven.
2. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the cream
cheese and 8 tablespoons butter, using a pastry blender, fork, a mixer, or your fingers,
until the chunks of butter are the size of peas. Stir in scallions.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, lemon puree, honey and buttermilk. Add the wet
ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir with fork until flour is all incorporated. If mixture
appears too dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, and fold it over several times, until it
holds together. Pat or roll the dough into a 3/4"-thick square or circle. Cut the dough into
12 squares or wedges with a sharp knife or bench scraper.
5. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and brush tops. Top each scone, decoratively, with a parsley
leaf. Carefully place the scones about 2” apart on parchment paper on the preheated
baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes, until tops are light golden brown.
6. Meanwhile, stir together 6 tablespoons softened butter with harissa and apricot preserves
until well combined. Serve with hot scones.