Moroccan Olive Cranberry Nut Sourdough Bread
Prep time: 10 hours 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Ready in: 11 hours 15 minutes
For a no-fuss breakfast, or a lovely snack to accompany coffee or a cup of tea, try this rustic loaf of sourdough bread, studded with dried cranberries, walnuts and Casablanca Market Purple Olives. The combination of sweet and salty is a knockout, especially with a layer of creamy salted butter or whipped goat cheese with jam. You can even slice it up for a unique take on French toast, or use it to make gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches!
- 1/3 cup active starter
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped Casablanca Market Purple Olives
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, using a fork, whisk together the starter and water. Add flour and salt and continue to mix until dough becomes stiff. Using your hands, mix the dough until the flour is completely incorporated and dough is smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and allow dough to rest 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine the filling ingredients. Add the mixture to the dough. Gently press the olive mixture into the dough evenly until no longer loose. Using wet hands, fold the dough over the filling to completely cover. Repeat this 3 or 4 times, until filling is incorporated into the dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and allow to rise overnight at room temperature.
- In the morning, place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently press into the dough to remove any large pockets of air. Shape the dough into a log and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease a 9x5” loaf pan. Using lightly floured hands, gently pull the dough towards you on the work surface. Place the dough seam-side-down into the prepared loaf pan.
- Cover and allow to rise 1-2 hours, or until slightly puffed above the pan. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake loaf for 45-50 minutes, or until bread reaches an internal temperature of 190°F.
- Remove loaf from oven and cool in pan for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.