Ricotta Pancakes and Fruit Compote
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ready in: 40 minutes
What’s the secret to fluffy, cloud-like pancakes? Ricotta cheese! Paired with sour cream, this light Italian cheese helps to activate the baking powder, and it lends a rich, tender texture to every bite. Chopped Casablanca Market Preserved Lemon Peels are stirred into the batter for a kiss of sweet, fragrant citrus, and Preserved Lemon Puree makes an appearance in a luscious fruit compote, along with bananas, berries, white wine and orange juice. The finished dish is sure to give your favorite brunch spot a run for its money!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Casablanca Market Preserved Lemon Peels
- Butter for cooking
For fruit compote
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 ripe organic bananas, sliced into coins
- 1/2 cup ripe strawberries, cleaned and hulled
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon Casablanca Market Moroccan Preserved Lemon Puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ricotta, sour cream, eggs and vanilla. Add chopped lemon peels and blend. Pour sour cream mixture into flour mixture and whisk to combine.
- Pour 1/3 cup batter on buttered griddle or skillet and cook until bubbles begin to rise to the surface. Flip pancake and cook until golden-brown.
For fruit compote
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook until it foams. Add bananas, strawberries, blueberries, and brown sugar. Stir and cook until sugar has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add white wine, orange juice, lemon puree and cinnamon stick, and continue to cook until fruit is deeply soft and all the alcohol has cooked off, an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick and serve over pancakes.