Preserved Lemon & Harissa Marinated Chicken Kebabs
Spice up your dinner in all seasons with these flavorful, grilled chicken kebabs — zesty, bold and delicious!
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes
Ready in: 35 minutes
- 1 Casablanca Market Moroccan Preserved Lemon, rind only, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon plus 1-2 teaspoons Casablanca Market Moroccan Harissa
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts (2 pounds), boneless, skinless and cut into 1-1/2” cubes
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-1/2” pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into 1-1/2” pieces
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup ice-cold water
- 4 pita or naan breads, heated
1. In a large bowl, add preserved lemon, paprika, 1-2 teaspoons harissa, black pepper, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, and blend well. Toss the chicken cubes in the marinade until coated. Cover.
2. Refrigerate and marinate for at least 2 hours (or overnight is best).
3. Evenly arrange chicken, peppers and onion pieces on skewers, making sure the pieces are not overcrowded on the kebabs.
4. When you’re ready to cook the kebabs, in a small bowl, whisk together tahini and lemon juice. Slowly add cold water and whisk until desired consistency. Stir in 1 tablespoon harissa until blended. Set aside.
5. Cook kebabs on the grill or grill pan, or in a cast iron skillet. If cooking on a grill, light coal, and once it’s white hot, push coal to one side. If cooking on a grill pan or in cast iron skillet, heat pan or skillet to medium-high and wipe down with a teaspoon of oil. Cook kebabs evenly on all sides for 5 to 6 minutes, until the meat is cooked through and firm to the touch.
6. Let the meat cool for 5 minutes and serve with hot pita bread or naan, and with parsley and harissa tahini sauce.