Berber Vegetable Tagine
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Ready in: 1 hour 20 minutes
Berber spice mix is a traditional Ethiopian blend, which can be customized according to the cook’s preferences. In our version, Casablanca Market Moroccan Preserved Lemon Puree and Harissa create a flavorful foundation, which is a rainbow palette of spices and aromatics. The Berber blend is then used to flavor a healthful, nourishing vegetarian tagine, layered with a garden bounty of produce. This slow-cooked stew is topped with bright, briny Casablanca Market Preserved Lemon rind and savory Purple Olives for the perfect finishing touch.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Casablanca Market Moroccan Preserved Lemon Puree
- 1/2 teaspoon Casablanca Market Moroccan Harissa
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, small dice
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium-size carrots, peeled, cut lengthwise and sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 potatoes, peeled, cut into quarters
- 1/2 butternut squash, cut in half and sliced into 4 pieces
- 2 small zucchinis, ends trimmed, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas
- 1/2 each Casablanca Market Preserved Lemon, rind only, thinly sliced
- 12-20 Casablanca Market Purple Olives, pits removed
- Crusty bread
- In a small bowl, combine water, preserved lemon puree, harissa, garlic, parsley, cilantro, ginger, paprika, turmeric and coriander. Set aside.
- Add olive oil and onions to a tagine and sauté on medium heat until translucent. Add tomatoes, salt, black pepper, bay leaves and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Arrange vegetables in tagine, beginning with vegetables that take the longest to cook on the bottom (carrots, potatoes, and butternut squash) and then adding the ones that take the least time to cook above them (zucchini and peas).
- Pour the spice marinade in a circular motion to cover the vegetables. Add tagine lid and cook for 50-60 minutes on low heat, or until vegetables are tender.
- Ten minutes before cooking is done, add olives and sliced preserved lemon rinds on top.
- Serve with crusty bread.